Greased lightening

Hello Utah, I’m back! And I can’t even tell you all how relieved I am to be done with this quarter. It has been the most stressful and crazy (but fun) quarter. It’s going to be sooo nice to not have any more deadlines and time consuming projects for the next month and half (yep- 6 whole weeks off *heart eyes*) and I’m going to have so much free time to be able to work on some of my own projects and make some fun winter clothes… I’ve only been back one day and I already spent all of my money on fabric from Jo-ann. Speaking of which, I got hired for a seasonal position there, and I started yesterday! I basically live there anyway so it shouldn’t be too hard of a transition hahahaha.

Anyway, for this post I just wanted to show you guys some of the stuff I created this quarter because a lot of people have been messaging me asking to see my sketches and see more pictures and process stuff from things that I have been made. So I thought this would be a good place to showcase my work from the quarter. This quarter I took intro to fashion design, life drawing, and psychology (irrelevant and annoying). I LOVED my intro to fashion design class, it was very eye opening about the fashion industry, and my fashion professor was very blunt and helped me to improve so much in just three months. I have way too many sketches from my first and second projects to put on here, but I will show you my sketches and process work from my final project!

First of all, our project was basically to create a line of ten looks, the first seven could be just sketches that were kind of vague ideas, and then three of them had to be developed into neatly presented sketches with process sketches and 3D examples, and then one of the looks had to be actually constructed. So for my collection I decided I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on fabric, so I went to goodwill and bought things for so cheap that I could tear apart to make my own fabric, and it ended up being so much cheaper than if I had bought all of that hounds-tooth and denim. I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to do for my collection yet, but while I was there I found a bunch of hats that had different auto repair shop logos and things like that on them. I thought they were really cool and I got inspired by the auto-shop mechanic vibe. I bought all of the hats for like a dollar each and I also bought a terribly ugly denim blazer and XL hounds-tooth pants.


Here is the mood board I came up with for this collection, I named the collection “new garage”

Here are my initial rough draft designs, seven looks that could potentially be in my collection that go along with my theme/colors/fabrics/mood

These are two of my final sketches for the collection, with process work, mood, and 3D textile examples.


and this is the final look that I decided to make! the top right corner is my process sketches for how i came up with the look, and the bottom left corner is a fabric sample with some practice examples of how I wanted to layer the buttons on the back of the jacket.


Now on to the actual making of the look!


The first thing I did was take the denim blazer and transform it into a cool distressed denim jacket. I cut off the lapels, collar, and pockets, unpicked the darts, let it out an inch, and frayed the edges of the hem and collar.

the next thing i did was take the old hats and cut the logos of off them. After I cut the logos off I hand stitched them onto the jacket because they were too thick for the sewing machine. I also surged the inside edges of the jacket because the horizontal fraying didn’t look very good.

the next thing I did was start making the dress. I made the dress out of the XL hounds-tooth men’s pants that I got at Goodwill. I unpicked all of the inner leg seams, and cut off the top from the zipper up. Then I sewed the whole thing back together as one large tube, which I then fit to my body by putting it on and pinning it, and sewing the side seams in and making darts. After it fit me perfectly I used the excess hounds-tooth material that I had cut off to make straps, which I sewed to the front and back. Then I took the pockets that I had taken off of the jacket and sewed them onto the front of the dress to keep the denim look cohesive- and viola.

The next thing I did, was sew buttons like CRAZY. This look had over 200 hand sewn buttons on the back of the jacket. Each side took me nine hours to complete. These are some process and up close photos of how I got the look i was going for.

I forgot to take process photos of the sleeves, but basically I cut the sleeves off of a men’s dress shirt and surged and sewed the cut edge, hand sewed the ribbon to the sleeve, and hand sewed the sleeve over the existing sleeve on the denim jacket. and that’s all!

After we created our look we were required to create a fashion editorial spread or advertisement for our look/collection, so here is mine! (you can click on them and scroll through)

This project was so fun to do! It was our final project so we had about a week and a half to complete it, which was actually really tough but such a good learning experience and i’m really happy with how it turned out. Let me know if you guys like this whole blogging my process work thing, I might start doing it more often!

Thanks for reading!



2 thoughts on “Greased lightening

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s